Castlebar, the County Town of Mayo, is a
place steeped in history. A guided
historical walkcan be arranged taking you
past such places as...
This late 18th Century building was
renovated in the 19th century and still
retains the character of a Victorian
Hotel. Most noted as the building in which
the National Land League, under Michael
Davitt, was founded in 1879.
Now the Christian Fellowship centre, it is
one of the oldest buildings in the town.
The foundation stone was blessed by the
founder member of the Methodist Church in
1785. It is a pure Neo-Romanesque building
with an excellent cut limestone
Originally a bridewell and later a bank,
it was built in the 1820's. It is alleged
that it contained an underground tunnel
running to the courthouse for the safe
movement of prisoners.
Built between 1830 - 1835. The imposing
classical columns that dominate the facade
are cast iron, one of the earliest
examples of this in the West.
The birthplace of the world - renowned
opera singer was once a post office, as
her father held a position as a
postmaster. There is a plaque in her honor
on the wall.
The churchyard contains many distinguish
headstones. The statue of General George
O'Malley is notable for the record of the
battles of the Napolianic Wars. The
grounds have one of the few genuine truely
indigenous Irish Yew Trees.
1798 Monument / George Moore's
The monument was erected in 1948 on the
150th anniversary of the 1798 rising. The
grave holds the remains of George Moore
First President of Connaught.